Thanks for the reply, good to know that LoaderMax doesn't properly dispatch the UNLOAD event, that may be the problem I'm dealing with. I actually inherited this project that was started a few months ago... I tried to update this project to newest LoaderMax, but I got a lot of errors from plugin dependencies so I figure I'd better now open up that can of worms (and by that I mean not spend more than five minutes on it)... Anyways... very good info.
About your comment about the unloadAndStop(), I found this on gskinners site:
Here is the list of things that unloadAndStop does to prepare loaded SWFs for collection:
Stops all MovieClips
Stops all sounds playing/streaming
Stop/removes all Timer objects
Remove all global listeners for enterFrame, exitFrame, frameconstructed, activate, deactivate
Remove all stage listeners that have been created by the child.
Closes all NetConnection/NetStream
Removes AS3 fonts from the global font table
Stops sockets, xmlsockets, filereference downloads, other downloading objects (grandchildren SWF), etc.
Frees bitmap related to cacheAsBitmap/filter, etc.
Note that all of the above are run recursively, so they will also apply to any nested children, including other loaded SWFs.
I'm not sure if this info is correct or not, all I know is that I couldn't get it to work... Will definitely be using the new LoaderMax next time.