GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zimbeta

Function Scope in SplitText Timeline

Hi, pretty green Greensock user here.  This is just a question of function scope inside timeline. 

I'm hoping to calculate the exact position of a single letter in my SplitText timeline so I can animate it into another phrase. Depending on size of browser window, it needs to be exact. Should the function within my timeline here return "moveLetter" value? When I console log in on the next line it's undefined. Do I need to pass value into my staggerFrom? I know I am missing something basic. Thanks for any help! 

function title() {
    var tl = new TimelineMax();
    var mySplitText = new SplitText("#title", {type:"words,chars", position: "relative", charsClass:"title-++"}),
    chars = mySplitText.chars; //an array of all the divs that wrap each character
    tl.call( function(){
        var l8 = $('.title-8')
        var coords8 = l8[0].getBoundingClientRect();
        var left8 = coords8.left;
        var moveLetter = leftUX - left8;
        return moveLetter;
    })
    .call( function(){ console.log(moveLetter) })
    .staggerFrom(chars, 1,  {delay: 0, x: moveLetter, opacity: 0, ease:SteppedEase.easeOut}, 0.06, 0);
    return tl;
}

Nevermind I think I've solved it by changing my approach and not splitting my animation into two functions. 

Glad to hear that you solved it. Thanks for letting us know and thank you for being a member of Club GreenSock.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 1