GreenSock

folktrash

Ways to approach changing durations.

Hi!

I'm curious if there's a good way to manage changing durations. I don't have code snippet handy atm, but the situation is this: We have a series of animations/scene. There's the intro timeline, the waiting timeline, and the outro timeline. It's a loader scene.

The intro and outro are their own var'd new TimeLineMax(), with a series of tweens. These animations have static duration, e.g. the intro takes one second, and the outro takes 2 or whatnot.

The waiting timeline is a repeating series of .to()'s saved into a var'd timeline. The total time is variable based on bandwidth and filesize. I'd like to alter the duration the containing tweens (independently if possible), as the total wait time increases; Speeding up the repeating effect (reducing the duration) the longer we're waiting.

I can navigate an onComplete that checks some bool and restart()'s that timeline to "get" a repeating animation without using repeat explicitly. Related: is there an API for timeline.repeateUntilFurtherNotice()? I didn't see one (https://www.greensock.com/asdocs/com/greensock/TimelineMax.html#methodSummary).

Either way - what is a good approach for modding the duration of tweens inside a timeline when the total duration is variable/unknown?

Hi folktrash :)

you can use .duration() too , adjusts the timeline's timeScale to fit it within the specified duration.

pls check this out : 

See the Pen rOKpBb by MAW (@MAW) on CodePen

• Like 3

Just to add my two bits:

Here are the link to the 2 methods Blake and Diaco advised above from the GSAP Docs.

GSAP Docs:

http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/

:)

• Like 1

I never noticed this, but duration just changes the timeScale. It makes sense. I just never thought about it. So setting the timeScale to 1 will revert it back to its original speed if it was changed with duration.